The Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix will continue to be held in Shanghai for at least the next three years, with the 2018 race scheduled for April 15.
The world’s premier motor racing series sports race has reached a three-year contract extension with local organizer Shanghai Juss Sports Development (Group) Co. to keep the annual F1 race at the Shanghai International Circuit in suburban Jiading District, Juss announced last week.
The year 2017 was the last year of the second seven-year contract for Shanghai to host the event. Chase Carey, chief executive of the Formula One Group, has been impressed with the influence the Chinese GP has had among the sport’s followers in the country over the past 14 years since race first arrived in China in 2004.
“We are glad to witness the reaching of the agreement to keep Shanghai as the host of the F1 Chinese GP,” said the American. “A great country like China has already shown strong interest in the sport. We believe that there is still a huge potential here for future exploration. That’s why the new contract plays an important role in our future global development strategy, especially in this part of the world.
“F1 and its partners hope that the Chinese Grand Prix will be even better in the future and get more Chinese fans closer to the sport. Also, I want to express my gratitude to the Shanghai government.”
Carey had said in an earlier interview that he appreciated Shanghai organizer’s efforts in turning the race weekend into a “big party” by organizing all kinds of activities around the circuit to enrich spectators’ experience.
Juss said the annual race, which represents the highest level in world motor racing, has already formed its Chinese characteristic and therefore has induced promising social effects.
The 2017 Chinese GP attracted a total of 145,000 spectators to the Shanghai International Circuit.